Purpose: Manages assigned capital improvement projects to ensure that they are well planned, coordinated, scoped, budgeted and designed; constructed safely, on schedule, within budget, with good quality, with minimal operational impacts and with positive effects on overall security. Acts as a mentor and advisor to other Project Managers and participates in internal peer reviews.
Essential Tasks of the Job:
Assists Program Managers in developing specific projects for the Capital Program. 1. Assists the Program Managers by identifying active and potential projects to be included in the Capital Program.
2. Presents specific project data and technical information for on-going and proposed projects to support Operating Departments' goals. Tracks and analyzes schedule, funding, percent complete, etc., for on-going projects. Provides preliminary schedule and cost estimates for proposed projects.
3. Assists in coordinating and securing all necessary internal Massport project approvals.
4. Prepares and presents briefings to the CEO/Board of Directors on selected projects.
Leads the consultant delivery process. 1. Prepares, coordinates and reviews consultant Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Requests for Proposals (RFP).
2. Conducts Pre-Proposal Conferences.
3. Serves as a voting member on the Designer Selection Panel.
4. Provides technical and professional assistance in ranking and evaluating proposals.
5. Leads contract and fee negotiation process.
Works in conjunction with consultants during design phase to ensure adherence to scope, budget and schedule. 1. Monitors and reviews consultants' contract work including all plans & specifications to ensure adherence to financial, technical, scope definition and schedule requirements.
2. Reviews BIM execution plans and BIM models, as needed.
3. Leads meetings and reviews documents to ensure that the project stays on track.
4. Identifies an Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Champion and keeps the O&M Champion fully involved in the design development.
5. Oversees consultants' and projects' costs while ensuring quality of work.
6. Reviews, tracks, and recommends payment of consultant invoices.
7. Coordinates and provides necessary Capital Programs' support services, as needed.
8. Resolves issues that arise during the project planning and design.
Manages consultant, contractor and engineering services during construction phase. 1. Coordinates construction bidding and contract award process.
2. Coordinates and conducts pre-construction conferences.
3. Travels to site and inspects project process.
4. Directs the consultant and contractor during construction, as appropriate.
5. Manages resident engineering and inspection forces assigned to the project.
6. Conducts meetings with involved parties regarding project progress and issues.
7. Ensures timely and accurate completion of logs, daily progress reports, construction and financial reports.
8. Approval of consultant and contractor requests for payment, amendments and change orders within established agency levels or obtains necessary approval through the Massport Board of Directors.
9. Ensures Massport compliance with all construction/building related permits.
10. Manages the project change order process. Negotiates change orders and recommends approval.
11. Tracks and ensures timely response to shop drawing submittals.
12. Manages BIM deliverables.
13. Monitors contractors' work for safety, quality, cost, schedule, cleanliness and minimizing the impact to operations.
14. Ensures proper commissioning of the facility and closeout of the project including preliminary inspection, certificate of occupancy, punch list, as-builts, operation and maintenance manuals, operations training, guarantees and warranties, final cleanup and final inspection.
15. Evaluates the consultant and constructor.
Establishes and maintains coordination with public, private and community agencies or groups to ensure achievement of project goals. 1. Provides liaison with other departments on such activities as tenant coordination, FAA/MassDOT/FHWA interface, AIP funding, insurance, badging, operational impacts, community impacts, etc.
2. Provides input to environmental process and participates in public hearings.
3. Conducts presentations to various internal and external groups interested in the projects.
SECONDARY JOB TASKS:
Provides supervision and technical guidance to assistant project managers, engineers, resident engineers and support staff on selected projects.
Manages several capital projects at a given time.
Maintains project central files, as appropriate.
Provides design and construction management services on in-house projects, as assigned.
Provides in-house technical services and technical reviews in area of professional expertise.
Maintains information relevant to measuring and controlling project progress from design through construction.
Performs other duties, as assigned.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Architecture or Engineering.
EXPERIENCE: 12-18 years of diversified professional architectural or engineering experience of which no less than 6 years have been in managing large complex capital projects. Experience in construction management and management of public agency projects is desirable.
UNIQUE EXPERTISE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATIONS: 1. Registered Professional Engineer or Architect.
2. Current and valid drivers' license.
3. Experience and working knowledge of the Massachusetts public bidding process and public bidding laws.
4. Experience in working on BIM-enabled projects.
5. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Primavera.
6. Knowledge of budgetary principles and practices.
7. Demonstrated organizational and personal management skills required.
8. Ability to pass a Massport background check and obtain a Massport Security Badge.
9. Ability to pass airfield driving test and obtain Aerodrome License.
10. Ability to pass Massport pre-placement physical, controlled substance testing, and background security check.
11. Ability to obtain a Transportation Worker's Identification Credential (TWIC).
12. Experience in construction management and public agency projects.
Massport owns and operates an integrated world-class transportation network that promotes economic growth and opportunity, enhances the quality of life of New England residents and protects the freedom to travel safely, securely, efficiently and cost-effectively.
In meeting our responsibility to connect New England with the world, Massport strives to always be a good steward by treating colleag...ues and customers with respect, embracing diversity and minimizing the impact of transportation services on our neighbors and the environment.