Pedestrian and Bicycle Program Manager
\"Preserving the Past, while Innovating our Future!\"
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Principal Planner- Pedestrian and Bicycle Program Manager position.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
1 . Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
2. Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
3.Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
4. Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity and entrepreneurship
The Principal Planner will be the Pedestrian and Bicycle Program Manager in the Transportation Planning Division of the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services. This position involves managing high profile pedestrian and bicycle transportation projects and traffic safety projects and programs such as Capital Bikeshare, Vision Zero, and Safe Routes to School. This position requires extensive experience in transportation planning.
What You Should Bring
The ideal Pedestrian and Bicycle Program Manager candidate will have demonstrated successes with publicly visible safety projects, public outreach, and project management. This candidate will thrive in thinking outside the box, bringing innovative ideas to the table, while working towards the best possible implementable outcome. The position requires a strong balance of people skills and technical know-how, and as a supervisory position, the selected candidate will be able to lead a team with judgment, experience, and a desire to cultivate leadership in others. The Opportunity
- Performs a variety of project management and/or supervisory functions, including managing large pedestrian and bicycle transportation projects, ensuring compliance with the City's high standards of transportation planning, consistent with the City's vision and adopted policies, including the Transportation Master Plan. Elements of the Complete Streets program include work with new sidewalk design and construction, designing intersection to improve safety, bicycle lanes and trails, traffic calming, and reviewing new developments for appropriate bicycle and pedestrian amenities and treatments, and other duties;
- Manages all elements of a project from pre-planning and data analysis, conceptual to final design, public outreach implementation and evaluation and monitoring;
- Ability to coordinate with other City agencies, Virginia Department of Transportation, interest groups, and jurisdictions on highly specialized policy, transportation, and planning issues;
- Develops and implements innovative public outreach strategies;
- Manages all aspect of capital projects, formulates plans and ensures project completion;
- Develops and manages budgetary expenditures consistent with project allocations to include federal and grant funded projects;
- Manages consultants and contractors;
- Responds to citizen requests related to pedestrian and bicyclist safety, traffic calming, and other related requests.
- Creates and maintains project websites.Uses Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to organize, analyze, and present information;
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The Department of Transportation & Environmental Services (T&ES) is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving.
Job Opportunities | Sorted by Job Title ascending | Alexandria City Government Jobs
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Four-Year College Degree; at least five years of progressively-responsible experience in transportation planning and management of large-scale urban transportation projects, and completion of college-level courses in urban planning, transportation or transit planning, public administration, engineering, geography, or a related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Excellent public speaking abilities, Master's Degree; more than five years of progressive planning experience, AICP certification, registered/certified Landscape Architect or Architect; demonstration of progressive project management experience, including managing consultants or staff, meeting deadlines, managing budgets, and ensuring accountability; proven successes with active transportation planning and Complete Streets, pedestrian and bike mobility and safety, street design, and traffic engineering.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to a criminal background.
","@type":"JobPosting","responsibilities":"","validThrough":"2017-10-29T04:00:00Z","title":"Principal Planner/Pedestrian and Bicycle Program Manager","datePosted":"2017-09-29T18:42:01Z"}
Principal Planner/Pedestrian and Bicycle Program Manager
City of Alexandria