SUMMARY OF DUTIES Provides extensive and diversified quality engineering support for products and processes while completing projects in broad areas of assignment. Basic responsibilities include: Quality/ technical support, mentoring and training of quality assurance employees, failure investigation, disposition of nonconforming materials, conducting and updating risk analysis documentation defining/refining quality inspection plans, performing data collection and trending of key metrics, and identifying and addressing supplier quality issues. Ensures that Merit products are designed, tested, and manufactured in compliance with all applicable agency/internal quality requirements and optimizing quality systems and documentation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS PERFORMED 1. Conducts complete and conceptually related studies to approach technical problems, whereas the problems are difficult to define, require unconventional or novel approaches, and require sophisticated research techniques.
2. Performs technical work where available guides and precedents contain critical gaps, are only partially related to the problem, or may be largely lacking due to the novel character of the project.
3. Contributes techniques which are of material significance to solve specific problems and drive continuous improvement.
4. Keeps abreast of new scientific methods, standards, regulations, and developments affecting the organization for the purpose of recommending changes to processes, systems or designs warranted by such developments.
5. May plan, organize, mentor, and supervise the work of engineers or technicians on various engineering projects and quality system compliance issues.
6. Responsible for coordinating risk analysis/management activities. This may include leading risk management analysis meetings, documenting results, following up to ensure risk mitigation and facilitating improvements.
7. Reviews, approves and generates Engineering Change Notifications (ECNs) to update or generate: verification, validation, monitoring and inspection methods, procedures, and test protocols; specific to assigned product line(s) and processes and production control(s).
8. Mentors and evaluates competency of Quality Auditors, Quality Engineers, and technicians, by providing training or other actions required to satisfy quality objectives.
9. Evaluates and participates in the selection of suppliers by monitoring supplier performance, through collection and trending of data and performing supplier quality audits, as required.
10. Reviews nonconformance records (internal/external) to determine: disposition, root cause and need for corrective and preventive actions.
11. Ensures containment (identification, segregation and reconciliation) of nonconforming product has been performed, to prevent unintended use.
12. Identifies and implements any changes necessary to ensure and maintain the continued suitability and effectiveness of the quality management system through the use of: quality policy, quality objectives, audit results, analysis of data, risk management, etc.
13. Evaluates the work environment in which product is manufactured, and ensures it is adequately controlled and monitored, with sufficient personnel and safety production controls.
14. May participate in design and development activities.
15. May support Internal Audit and supplier audit activities, performing audits, writing audit reports, and following up on effectiveness of corrective/preventative actions.
16. Performs other related duties and tasks as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS * Education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field with six years of quality engineering experience (to include experience in the development and implementation of effective quality systems). * Strong interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member. * Demonstrated working knowledge of 21 CFR 820 (Quality Systems Medical Devices), ISO 13485, ISO14791, and other medical device related standards. * Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment through conflict resolution and negotiations. * Working knowledge of statistical methodologies, quality control and manufacturing tools, such as applied statistics, lean manufacturing, Six Sigma, etc. * Knowledge of applicable regulatory agency regulations. * Demonstrated computer skills preferably spreadsheets, word processing, database and other applicable software programs.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS * Medical device experience or equivalent experience in a regulated industry. * Experience handling deviations, investigations and CAPAs. * Experience with MasterControl, SmartCAPA, Oracle and Crystal.
COMPETENCIES * Engineering problem solving/decision making * Technician supervision * Special projects/ECN's/prototype creation * NCMR causes/corrective actions/dispositions
COMMENTS Infectious Control Risk Category II: The risk category explains whether or not employees are likely to come into contact with blood or body fluids while performing their jobs. Risk category II states employment and procedures that may require exposure.
Internal Number: 540-12709
About Merit Medical Systems
Founded in 1987, Merit Medical set out to build the world’s most customer-focused healthcare company by understanding customers’ needs, and innovating and delivering a diverse range of products that improve the lives of people, families, and communities throughout the world.
Merit’s primary products consist of inflation devices used in angioplasty and stent placement; diagnostic and therapeutic catheters used for various procedures in cardiology and radiology; diagnostic and hydrophilic products used to manage and monitor the administration of contrast media and other fluid solutions; thrombolytic catheters and fluid dispensing systems; and embolotherapeutic products for the treatment of uterine fibroids, hypervascularised tumours, and arteriovenous malformations; and procedural trays, packs, and kits.
Merit maintains a diverse, multi-campus manufacturing footprint in North America and Europe with a true global distribution network focused on delivering our products and technologies to our customers.