Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle’s Transportation Business Line is currently seeking a Systems Engineer-all levels. This position located in Columbus, OH and Crystal City, VA
The Systems Engineer will lead projects with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Transportation Research Board, State, and local entities. This position will support teams through the development of technical documents such as, but not limited to, concepts of operations, system requirements, performance requirements, and systems integration plans for local, state, regional and/or national government initiatives that aim to influence and change behavior of the public and/or professionals (i.e., transportation engineers, state, and local officials, planning and policy professionals). The Systems Engineer will be responsible for supporting technical guidance and leadership to junior engineers on-site at Battelle and in the field during testing; and supporting technical architecture and subsystem definition, including coordinating/managing the development of multiple interface control documents and specifications. This person will also have responsibilities for support of technical project execution management which shall include project planning, identification and mitigation of risks, and vendor and subcontractor management.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant fields
- 5+ years of professional experience-please see requisitions for specific levels of experience
- Experience conducting/supporting transportation projects for US DOT, TRB, and/or other public sector transportation agencies
- Capability to quickly assess new technology to understand its value, utility, and potential issues associated with implementation and integration into larger complex systems
- Demonstrated experience in understanding and solving complex transportation problems
- Demonstrated research and analytical abilities
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented
- Capable of traveling up to 10% domestic
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Master’s degree in Engineering or other relevant fields
- Software development experience
- Hardware design experience
- Experience developing and mentoring staff
- Knowledge of, and experience with Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) 5.9 GHz connected vehicle application development and deployments
- Connected Vehicle Experience
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in responding to time critical situations while maintaining focus on driving execution of in-hand projects.
- Experience projecting staff workload
- Experience with marketing, proposal prep, fee preparations, negotiations, and contracts
- Government consulting experience
- Program and project management including knowledge and adherence to PMBOK guidelines
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP)
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers