MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 82 million customers annually, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe commute, great service to its customers and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
To coordinate and manage engineering and design of large and complex facilities projects with an emphasis on design and construction of Traction Power, Electrical infrastructure systems and facilities Ensure compliance with applicable codes and standards, strategic business plan objectives and schedules.
- Provide project management and direction for consultants and contractors involved in the implementation of Power, infrastructure, life safety systems and other related projects.
- Direct engineering consultants in the monitoring, Inspection & management of capital projects investigate and prepare recommendations for potential dangerous/unsafe conditions at facilities.
- Administer engineering projects including contractor design, payment, compliance with engineering standards and completion within a design/construction budget and schedule.
- Review consultant prepared plans and specifications.
- Work with Contract Administration on the resolution of extra work, claims and other contract matters.
- Familiarity with utility industrial type power systems design, construction and operation.
- Familiarity with Railroad Operations, Security and Life Safety procedures, or other applicable operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of electronics, control systems, life safety systems and multi-system interfaces as they apply to major infrastructure systems.
- Ability to present technical material to a group of public officials or community groups in laymen’s terms.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required to write reports, prepare project master plans and schedules, correspondence and present oral presentations as well as the ability to represent Metro-North in regular progress meetings.
- Personal abilities of motivation, self-starter and persistence while motivating others.
- Strong project management and leadership skills. Including CPM review and financial tracking skills.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite and/or comparable applications.
- Valid driver's license.
- Familiarity with Railroad Operations and Safety procedures.
- P.E. License.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, or related discipline.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in Electrical, Engineering, or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience managing engineering/design/construction projects.
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicological testing.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must:
(1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting,
(2) pass a written examination (if applicable),
(3) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and
(4) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant's qualifications for the position.
Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
For applicants who are current employees, you must be in active service and have worked in your present position for at least one (1) year to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, plus on-the-job training, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.) in order to be eligible to transfer. If you are transferred, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present occupation. In addition, Metro-North employees are subjected to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation of their safety and discipline records and their performance assessments.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $91,821.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
If interested, please visit and Search for Senior Engineer - Power, Capital Programs Engineering and Design under Metro-North Railroad.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer