Provides Engineering support to the Augusta Plant by implementing capital projects from conceptual design to completion which improve, modify, or replace equipment and facilities. Recommends specific process changes or improvements. Involves management of outside design engineering firms, construction contractors, etc. engaged in project activity. Determining technical adequacy of project design, controls cost and schedule, etc. The individual must be aware of technological changes in the industry and new products which might prove beneficial to this complex. The Project Engineer both originates ideas for process improvements and acts on suggestions from other departments. Contacts are generally within the company, but also include vendors and technical representatives, consultants, and equipment manufacturers.
- Promotes and actively participates in "ADAPT" Behavioral Safety Process and Environmental Stewardship activities.
- Actively supports Area Teams and ODR processes.
- Supports area team members and the Area Operations Managers to accomplish plant objectives in the priority areas of Safety, Environmental, Quality, Reliability, Production, Efficiency, Cost Reduction, and Innovation.
- Performs and/or initiates effective and timely engineering and technical studies to troubleshoot known plant problems, predict impending problems and to optimize plant operations in the above priority areas.
- Performs and/or contributes to thorough process reviews, Hazard and Operability Studies (Hazops) and "What If analyses on current operations as well as proposed changes to plant equipment, processes and systems via the plant Process Safety Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Interacts routinely with operators and shift supervisors to learn and share knowledge of the plant operations and to meld "reality" with "theoretical."
- Performs and/or contributes to Root Cause Failure Analyses (RCFA's) and incident investigations and completes assigned action items on schedule.
- Identifies and facilitates implementation of production, reliability, efficiency, and cost improvement opportunities.
- Researches and evaluates industry technology advancements, other plant experiences and innovative ideas.
- Develops and maintains networks with other PCS and nitrogen industry plants.
- Performs special studies/projects as directed by the Project Engineering Superintendent.
- Routinely attends area team meetings to maintain thorough communications concerning project issues, status, and schedules.
- Participates in joint plant/equipment/safety walkthroughs with operations and maintenance.
- Ensures projects are successfully integrated into the planning and execution of planned outages and turnarounds.
- Executes projects via a project team that includes (among others) production engineers, maintenance engineers, equipment specialists, and operations/maintenance personnel.
- Coordinates schedules of all in-house and outside contractors’ construction work with area Production Specialists, Area Managers, Maintenance Manager, Maintenance Supervisor, and E&I Supervisor.
- Performs sufficient up-front engineering to adequately define project scope, technical risks, cost estimate and schedule before AFE preparation.
- Executes Capital projects in a manner that enhances SHE, quality, reliability, and efficiency performance of the site in full concert and with buy-in of the area teams and support groups.
- Must have exceptional organization skills to be capable of managing up to 10 Capital Projects simultaneously.
- Executes capital projects in accordance with site, SHE, security, and quality policies and procedures along with federal, state and local regulations, industry codes and standards, professional engineering practices and the site Engineering Procedure Manual consisting of ENG01 Authorization for Expenditure Procedure, ENG02 — Procedure for AFE Required Documentation, ENG03 —Document Control General Specifications and Piping Specification, ENG04 — Document Control Plant P&ID's, ENG05 — Document Control Drawing Revisions, ENG06 — Purchasing, Project Tracking and Cost Control, ENG07 — Procedure for Project Change Authorization.