The Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE) position has a strong understanding of Quality methods and systems. The SQE is responsible for implementation and execution of methods and programs to ensure that suppliers have systems that meet specifications and standards. This position interfaces with the sourcing team and communicates direction to suppliers on issues such as; quality performance improvement, part approval process, sampling plans, inspection methods, measurement system analysis, statistical process control contract reviews, problem investigations, evaluation of quality systems, and product transition activity.
- Executes quality portion of MRB / non-conformance product issues using established systems
- Executes Quality tools that apply to the product and suppliers assigned. Quality Engineering tools such as: contract review, sampling plans, auditing principals, SPC, MSA, First Articles, FMEA, PFMEA, calibration systems, etc to understand and ultimately resolve issues in the supply base.
- Applies demonstrated understanding of the relevant product or customer specifications, flow down documents, procedures, engineering or process drawings and regulating agent body requirements that apply to the products and suppliers assigned
- Issues, monitors and maintains corrective action database
- Works effectively with suppliers to resolve problems using Root Cause Corrective Actions (RCCA) tools
- Analyze supplier performance data to determine continuous improvement opportunities to improve supplier performance.
- Utilizes available data to establish schedules and perform required audits of assigned suppliers
- Maintains accurate and current supplier quality records, such as supplier audits, certifications, corrective action responses, and database screens
- Participate with the Sourcing team to select and manage assigned suppliers
- Travel to assigned suppliers, as necessary (domestic and international)
- Work and lead multiple projects effectively to closure
- Executes established Quality plan for assigned suppliers, based upon:
- Type and complexity of product being procured
- Quality history of supplier
- Requirements placed upon items
- Level of suppliers demonstrated process control
- Supports and drivescontinuous improvement activities
- May mentor less experienced SQE's and Supplier Quality Techs, as required.
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
- Work is generally performed in a normal office environment, however the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust, and temperatures above 80 degrees F.
- Travel to and work performed in supplier facilities may also expose the member to stated environments.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability effectively work at all levels
- Team player
- Self-starting, minimal supervision required
- Detail oriented
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- Solid understanding of AS9100, ISO-9000/2000, QS-9000 and/or TS-16949
- Knowledge and experience with Continuous Improvement Methodologies (6 Sigma, Lean Mfg. etc.)
- Solid understanding and previous experience conducting supplier quality audits.
- Greenbelt training, preferred