Our Client is a world premier independent materials engineering and testing organization located in Cincinnati, Ohio and a European country. They offer expertise and laboratory facilities in the broad field of materials evaluation including both metallic and non-metallic structural materials. They utilize 400+ test machines and test 60,000 specimens on an annual basis.
Our Client is seeking a Business and Technology leader for their Metallography Lab. As a Business Leader, they’re seeking an individual who can work with and through their business development organization to grow the labs annual revenue. As a Technology Leader, they’re seeking an individual who will be accountable for the building and managing customer relationships with their current customers as well as providing leadership to the Metallography and Central Coatings Lab staff.
The Metallography Lab today consists of four service areas, Central Coatings Lab, Failure Analysis, General Metallography, and Polymer Composite Acid Digestion. Our Client’s program provides companies worldwide with classroom instruction and hands-on training on the proper techniques to evaluate the quality of turbine engine coatings application. Their program also includes the management and execution of a round robin quality control system, and overview of vendor’s coating process control procedures. There are opportunities for growth in all four existing service areas as well as with new services.
Other MRI laboratories consist of a wide variety of commercial and internally developed servo-hydraulic and electro-mechanical test equipment to service customers with mechanical testing needs ranging from micro-specimens to large full-scale products. Typical production capacity is > 20K specimens per year. Laboratory services include support with test designs, protocols, and reporting.
In addition to the testing laboratories, overall operations include an engineering group to facilitate sales, customer contact, project updates, and data reporting. A large machining division supports specimen preparation and machining of fixtures and other required hardware.
Five core areas of competence for this position have been identified. They’re Leadership of People, Customer Relationship Management, Operational Leadership and Management and Operating Budget Planning and Management. Additional information about each area of competence follows.
Leadership of People
- Manage a staff of 5 Technicians in a technical, employee friendly, team focused, fast-paced service environment. In so doing:
- Communicate in a timely and consistent basis with the lab team and its individual members.
- Coordinate team and team member projects and activities
- Provide coaching, mentoring and training to the team and its individual members.
- Discuss and agree on team member performance objectives and measures, then evaluate and discuss performance with each team member.
- Discuss and agree on lab systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards, then hold team members accountable to support and work within them.
Customer Relationship and Business Development
- Work with and through the Business Development team to prepare and develop a plan to grow the customer base for the Metallography and Central Coatings Lab.
- Execute customer test plans to meet technical and schedule requirements.
- Manage scheduling and the allocation of resources to meet customer project needs.
- Participate in customer interface activities including POC for in-house visits and external sales visits to customer facilities worldwide.
- Travel as necessary to support customer projects. Travel will be intermittent.
- Manage a flexible work schedule that will include some weekends and evenings as project, team or customer needs dictate.
- In concert with the Engineering Department, contact customers, determine pricing, and quote customer requests for work performed in the laboratory.
Operational Leadership and Management
- Support project bid proposal activities.
- Manage scheduling and the allocation of resources to meet project and customer needs.
- Provide technical support to inter and intra-departmental personnel.
- Work closely with manufacturing, engineering, and quality departments to synchronize operations for maximum efficiency.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives within the Lab.
- Monitor department activities for compliance with security, ITAR and/or customer proprietary requirements.
- Perform failure analyses, which may include litigation-related work.
- Function as the Lead Instructor for the Central Coatings Lab Training Program.
Operating Budget Planning and Management
- Develop and manage the labs annual operating and capital budgets.
- Establish budgetary and performance objectives, implement appropriate controls, and maintain records on Engineering and Central Coatings Lab activities.
- Regularly analyze department budget performance to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Use budget analysis on both departmental and project performance to assist with the determination of forward pricing strategies.
- Ensure that each customer project is properly supported.
Continuous Improvement Process Management
- Design, develop and implement a continuous improvement process that will drive improved customer and general lab performance.
- Refine the existing operational metrics system.
- Establish process improvement metrics and measures that can be utilized on an individual and team basis.